RAF Halton is the RAF’s centre for recruit training and airmen’s development training, and also hosts a number of other independent units. Units based at Halton currently include:
- Recruit Training Squadron – initial training for all non-commissioned entrants to the RAF (except RAF Regiment Gunners).
- Airmen’s Command Squadron – leadership and management training for non-commissioned officers.
- Specialist Training School – Health and Safety, Environmental Protection, Quality Management and Management and Procedural Skills Training.
- Defence Media Operations Centre– media and communications training and a deployable joint media operations team.
- Catering Training Squadron (part of the Defence College of Logistics and Personnel Administration) – specialist training for RAF chefs, stewards, and Catering Officers.
- Supply & Movements Training Wing (part of the Defence College of Logistics and Personnel Administration) – trains RAF personnel in all aspects of supply, movements and logistic management. It also trains Royal Navy and British Army personnel in movements disciplines.
- Training Analysis Centre (part of No 22 (Training) Group) – carries out training needs analysis, and proposes appropriate training strategies for RAF ground trades and branches (with the exception of medical, musician and fire-fighter).
- Defence Centre of Training Support – training military instructors and training managers, e-learning support services to the MoD, computer-based training production.
- 7644 (VR) Squadron, RAuxAF – a specialist media operations squadron.
- Joint Service Gliding Centre – adventurous training in the form of gliding for members of the Armed Forces.
- 613 Volunteer Gliding Squadron – gliding activities for the Air Cadet Organisation.
- Headquarters Hertfordshire & Buckinghamshire Wing Air Training Corps.[10
The camp also includes a grass airfield, used mainly by gliders, light aircraft, microlights and the RAF hot air balloon. The airfield is also the home of the Royal Air Force Gliding and Soaring Association Chilterns Gliding Centre, the Halton Aeroplane Club and the RAF Halton Microlight Club.
Logistics services to RAF Halton are provided by a multi-activity contract currently awarded to Serco