SSAFA at RAF Halton
SSAFA is a registered charity that was formed in 1885; we are part of the worldwide network of SSAFA Service Volunteers.
The RAF Halton committee, formed September 2010, is made up entirely of volunteers from the RAF Halton Community and consists of both serving personnel and dependants.
We meet regularly to plan and organize fundraising events Community and charity Community and charity and raise awareness through suitable PR. Our role is to address and support the welfare needs of those individuals and families of Service Personnel and their Families based within the RAF Halton Community. We work closely with Mr Paul Moore the SSAFA Family Support Worker.
We offer a wide range of support and access to practical services to assist our community including:
• Help for all RAF, Navy and Army personnel and their families based within our community.
• Support for Unit welfare initiatives and facilities’ including the community nurseries and schools.
• Befriending and supporting those who feel isolated whether through being new to the station, having a service member of their family away and are just finding it hard or due to their own or their child’s illness or disability.
• Practical, low level support through our team of Community Volunteers. This can include lifts to appointments, low key house help and support with children.
• Supporting the bereaved.
• Access to nationwide SSAFA services and facilities including:
• Children’s Holidays.
• Welfare Housing (Norton Homes at Selly Oak Hospital, Headley Court Stepping Stones and a Housing Service).
• Familial Bereavement Support Groups.
• Adoption Service
• Travel Service and our Health and Social Work Service.
• Financial assistance for individuals and families who need assistance with welfare (ask and we can consider) and agencies whose welfare work supports the Station Community.
Our reputation has been built on the excellent work carried out by our trained volunteers; be it helping out in a small way or being that friendly face to who people can turn to in their time of need can make a real difference to people’s lives.
Recent fundraising events…
The Big Brew 2014 saw SSAFA volunteers selling cakes around the station. The Station Commander, Gp Capt Adrian Burns officially opened our ‘pop-up’ tearoom in the Trinity Community Centre. Themed cupcakes made by one of our volunteers stole the day helping to make this one of the most popular and successful SSAFA fundraising events raising an impressive £366. SSAFA would like to say a big thank you for all the help and support given. These funds will go directly to helping RAF Halton Personnel and improving its facilities.
Exercise can be key in maintaining physical and mental health. This is why SSAFA proudly supported the setup of the RAF Halton Cycle Club that opened in January. SSAFA were able to donate £300 to help equip the club enabling RAF Halton to get on their bikes! at RAF Halton
Want to join in and help out?
We are looking for both Committee and Community Volunteers. We rely on donations of time (and money!) to support those in need right here at Halton. If you have some time to spare and would like to help please contact Mrs Julie Smith, Service Committee Chair, on ext 6951 (01296 656951) or Sgt Jason Jones, Deputy Service Committee Chair, on ext 6645 (01296 656645).