SSAFA Forces Help In-Service
Committee and Community Volunteers
SSAFA FH is a registered charity which was formed in 1885; we are part of the worldwide network of SSAFA FH In-Service Volunteers. The RAF Halton committee; formed last September, is made up entirely of volunteers from the Halton community and consists of both Serving personnel and dependants.
We meet regularly to plan and organise fundraising events and raise awareness through suitable PR. Our role is to address and support the welfare needs of those individuals and families of Service personnel and their dependants based within the RAF Halton Community, and work alongside Paul Moore our Individual and Family Support Worker.
We offer a wide range of support and access to practical services to assist our community including:
• Help for all RAF, Navy and Army personnel and their families based within our community,
• Support for Unit welfare initiatives and facilities; including the community nursery and schools,
• Befriending and supporting those who feel isolated whether through; being new to the station, having a serving member of their family away on duty and are just finding it hard, or due to their own or their child’s illness or disability,
• Practical, low level support through our team of community volunteers. This can include lifts to appointments, low key house help and support with children,
• Supporting the bereaved.
• Access to nationwide SSAFA FH services and facilities; children’s holidays, welfare housing (Norton homes at Selly Oak and Headley Court, stepping stone homes and a housing service), familial bereavement support groups, adoption service, travel service and our health and social work service.
• Financial assistance; individuals and families who need assistance with welfare (ask and we can consider) and agencies whose welfare work supports the Station community.
Our reputation has been built on the excellent work carried out by our trained volunteers; helping out in a small way or being that friendly face to whom people can turn to in times of need, can make a real difference to people’s lives.
The footballers of Wendover Junior FC, who train at RAF Halton, raised £500 at the annual Wendover Junior 6-aside competition (also held at RAF Halton) and donated the proceeds to SSAFA with a recent cheque presentation to the Station Commander. Club Secretary, Mr Tom Kerr said: “Wendover FC are very grateful for the support from RAF Halton personnel, especially Flight Sergeant Martin Burnell (WJFC RAF Liaison Officer) who worked tirelessly in the build up to the competition and during the actual weekend ensuring that everything ran smoothly, cumulating in the biggest and most successful Football competition in the county.”
SSAFA FH would like to say a big “Thank you” for all your kind support we have raised £1200 so far. However, we have also spent over £500 in assisting families within our community; we have also donated to the Family Support Worker at Halton combined school to help her with the children who need support at school due to welfare reasons. The work that we do is completely confidential to SSAFA FH; information is only shared to the Station when permission is granted by an individual or family in order to gain further support from the station. We rely on fundraising and donations (time as well as money!) in order to continue to support so many people. As a volunteer you can contribute as much or as little of your time as you want. We need Community Volunteers and fundraising volunteers to join our team who support the Halton community. If you want to support us watch out for the SSAFA FH Big Brew in Oct 11. For more information contact Paul Moore – Personal and Family Support Worker on 01296 656455, Angie or Lizzie – Volunteer Coordinator and deputy on 07546 481183 or Lester – Committee Chairman on 01296 656593.